Show HN: Writekin – fine-tune a local LLM on your own writing, on your Mac https://ift.tt/R749WD6
Show HN: Writekin – fine-tune a local LLM on your own writing, on your Mac Hey Hacker News! I built Writekin over the past week because I was tired of AI writing that didn't
sound like me, even though I had just used AI to clean it up, rather than wholesale write it. The usual fixes I found online for this were: - Some sort of SKILL.md, or - A system prompt full of rules to strip the generic AI tells (e.g. no em-dashes, none of the stock phrases, varying the sentence length, etc). While those cleaned up the surface a bit, Pangram still came back as ~100% AI written, which was frustrating, as again it was mainly taking my sloppy copy and tweaking it. So when building Writekin I took a different route: Writekin fine-tunes a local model on your own writing. It reads what you've already written (Apple Mail, iMessage,
local documents, chat exports), curates it into a training corpus, and
runs a QLoRA fine-tuning on-device via Apple's MLX. A Compose screen then
drafts and rewrites in that voice. Everything runs on your Mac. Ingestion, training, and generation are all
local. The only network calls are: (1) When you download the model weights from Hugging Face and (2) The Sparkle update check. Training on your own Mail/Messages only felt okay to ship if the end user could verify that, so the source is public — so you can read exactly what it does! Quick gut check: It's v0.9 and the output is uneven. Honestly, sometimes it nails your
voice, and sometimes it's just completely off. This is more a "this is possible and
kind of works" than a finished product. Would genuinely love feedback! Source: https://ift.tt/tavK6Uc https://ift.tt/tavK6Uc July 29, 2026 at 12:35AM
No comments